<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Thursday, October 13, 2005

Goodbye: You can't have it all

This will be my final post.

You may have noticed I haven't posted for quite a few days. It bothers me. A day doesn't go by that I don't have ten things to write about. I just don't have the time.

Aside from being a radio show host, an avid reader, researcher, and thinker with notes prepared for literally dozens of "someday" writing projects, a Sunday School teacher, and being behind on my share of the teaching of a family with three elementary home-schooled kids, I have severe work-related pressure.

This year has been the best yet for Downsize DC, but we're making major internal changes and, finally, addressing long term logistic issues. To complicate matters further, we're going to implement yet another major overhaul to the Downsize DC Foundation (counting American Liberty Foundation days, this will be the fourth incarnation in just over five years). Long term, I think this incarnation will be the one because we're using the same tools to make these changes that we did to create our successful lobbying system at DownsizeDC.org.

But DownsizeDC.org is not settled either as we have many improvements planned.

Unfortunately, our staff is small -- slowing our progress down. And we're underpaid, creating intellectually cramping financial pressure at home. We need to improve faster. And that requires focus.

Things are better than ever financially, but not yet where they need to be. The financial pressure, which I've lived under for the entire time I've been an activist, has got to stop.

How am I focusing. Well, these are the first baby-steps.

I try to read many blogs regulary. I've cut back signficantly. I may stop all-together (*probably should). I waste too much time trying to keep informed about too many things right now. It's not working for me.

I respond to 40 or more (sometimes many more) emails per day as well. We're looking to hire someone to handle that for me. I've enjoyed doing that and I'm very good at it. But I need to be doing things that will grow Downsize DC much more rapidly.

And as culturally important and personally enjoyable as blogging can be, I need to cut it out. If my audience was much larger than I suspect, then I couldn't give this up. If I was paying the bills doing this, I couldn't give it up. But I believe my audience on this blog is small and can only grow with more consistent attention -- attention I just can't afford to give it.

BUT I'M NOT CLOSING THIS BLOG. There's a lot of stuff written here. I've shared some important thoughts (and many not so important). I want to keep a record of those thoughts and I hope people will go through the site and find these pieces.

AND I'M STILL GOING TO BE BLOGGING Readers of this blog are now the first to know that DownsizeDC.org is going to have its own blog within the next 3-4 weeks. The blog currently located at DownsizeDC.com is migrating over and not only will tell stories of Human Progress (albeit fewer), but will include good news about Downsize DC in-general. Where it's appropriate, I'll be posting there.

I feel like I'm missing out on an important opportunity and venture. For generalists like me, people to whom focus is almost a disease, this nagging feeling keeps us from accomplishing at the level of our talent. I know that I have this disease. I want to be cured.

*But the hardest lesson for me to embrace, lo, even to learn and accept, is that you can't have it all. You can't do everything. You have to make choices.

My work hours need to be filled with work that will profit. My family hours need to be filled with family. Some folks think that it must be hard focusing on work when you work from your home. My problem has been exactly the opposite.

More tough (for me) choices remain for me to make. If you pray, then please pray for me.

So, thanks to everyone who read. I appreciate you. God bless.

NOTE: My radio show can be heard live at GCNLive.com. Archives, which are behind schedule, are posted at CultureRepair.com/Media. This too will change when the new program format takes effect. The radio show will be archived on the page of our new sponsor. I'm not sure when that will happen, but won't be too much longer.

Comments:
I can completely empathize with your decision, Jim.

I will look for your new blog at DownsizeDC.org.

And ... if you ever have a job opening for a fellow-traveler (i.e., Christian Libertarian) at DownsizeDC.org ... let me know! You know where to find me (at my blog - www.bkeithb.blogspot.com).

BLESSINGS!
 
Post a Comment
(1) comments

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?