<$BlogRSDUrl$>

Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Joe Bannister, good news for him, but is it good news for the rest of us?

Joe Bannister is a former IRS Agent. He’s become a patriotic tax-protester (tax protesters hate being called protestors, but I don’t know what else to call them). I got more than a dozen emails about Bannister’s incredible victory in court.

One such message read,

I'm sure by now you've heard of this ruling from last week...but JUST IN CASE, I've sent it over. Talk about "DownsizingDC," when the "Income Tax" fraud is brought down, we are well on our way.

He Fought the Income Tax and WON!


I responded,

Unfortunately, I’m spread very, very thin and haven’t had time to analyze what happened to see if this really is a _real_ _usable_ precedent, or whether there wasn’t some technicality or prosecutorial incompetence that was primary reason Joe Bannister won (something that was unique to his case, not duplicatable).

But in the meantime, I don’t want to get swept up in the excitement. I think the powers-that-be would like nothing more than to find a way to bankrupt, crush, and destroy their opposition. This case could be cheese in a giant mouse-trap for liberty-loving activists.

Comments: Post a Comment
(0) comments

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?